Tuesday, March 19, 2013

One of those mornings

Ugh.  I must say, even after growing up in the "north" of the U.S., I have a limited tolerance for snow.  I had originally planned to travel to campus today to meet with 2 professors about my comp exam, but alas, we got another winter storm.  Since it took forever for everyone else to leave the house this morning; I'm not too positive that the road conditions for the 85 mile drive will be great; I probably wouldn't be able to leave until close to 11 a.m. and would probably get there just in time for my meetings and then have to spend 2 hours driving back-- I decided not to go.  Let's hope I can chat with my professors on the phone this week!

This morning was one of those mornings.  My 3 year old DS started out the morning fine, but was not being very cooperative as I was simultaneously trying to get DD dressed and ready.  One of those mornings-- one mess after another, refusing to get dressed, having an accident after sitting on the toilet, etc etc.  At one point I did lose my patience and yell.  I've really been trying to be better about this and keep the right perspective, but honestly, at 9:30 a.m. I felt like it should already be 5:30 p.m.  I guess waking up feel tired doesn't help, since I've been staying up later the last few days to get work done; I've also not been sleeping too well.  Hence, I'm taking a "break" right now to reflect and get the right frame of mind back.  I apologized to my son before he left this morning.  I've been reminded a devotional book I read the other day which is set up for Lent (we are Christians; honestly this year with all else going on I have not made the time that I would like each day to reflect).  The story for the day focused on an elderly man who recently lost his wife.  She always had dreams to travel here and there, do this and that throughout the life, but they kept making excuses why they couldn't do any of those things.  The elderly man was filled with regret after his wife's passing as a result of this. 

I also think of so many other things that have happened around the world, especially in the last few months.  How could we forget what happened at Newtown, CT.  I don't want the stresses of academic work among other things impact my level of patience with my kids.  Of course, none of us are perfect.  However, I guess one thing that has struck me late in this season of Lent is to make the most of my time with my kids.  Honestly, it is difficult, especially on the days I am home with DD and DS is at preschool.  But, it is getting to the point where I can't really do much work when she is awake anyways, so I try to do even small things with her-- like read a book, show her how to do a little puzzle; something.  I took DS on a little "date" this past Saturday.  It was nice to spend time with him one-on-one for a couple of hours.  And of course, we can't leave our partners out of this, although with the craziness of life that often happens.  I have to take my own advice with this!

No comments:

Post a Comment