Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Guilty pleasures (aka distractions/stress relievers)

My son's preschool was closed last week for February vacation, so we (some might say, insanely) drove down to Florida from where we live in the "North."  Right now, I am very much missing the sunshine and summer temperatures.  Also, right now I should really be focusing on making up for the work hours I lost last week (although the time I spent in place of those with my family were undoubtedly well worth it)-- reading for my comprehensive exam and working on my conference paper.  However, I've spent a few minutes dabbling in one of my "guilty pleasures"-- which I will conceptualize as a stress-relieving distraction that I also feel guilty (at times) spending time on. 
My guilty pleasure in this sense is Hindi language serials (soap operas).  In all honesty, there are a couple right now that I am very addicted to, and it goes in waves.  There have been a number of shows that I have swooned over; when those have ended I always swear that I will not get hooked on another show.  Well, er, that often doesn't happen. 
Since the episodes air in India before we are able to see them in the U.S., I will often go on to one of the Indian television forums to get a sneak peak of what happened.  There are often lively discussions on those forums about the show-- hopeful predictions about the story line, love triangles between the leads, etc that provide a fun distraction as well.  In all honesty, sometimes I wish I could discipline myself to break this addiction so that I can have that extra hour every weeknight to do my work, but the nature of the distraction itself is often more interesting to me at 9:30/10 p.m. than my academic reading.  I have been trying to read for a while after watching my shows; some days that works out while other days it doesn't.  I guess we all need a break sometimes....and since my research is focused on South Asia and the South Asian diaspora in general, I feel like in a way it is related (haha).  I only wish I could say that I am more proficient in Hindi now than I was 3 years ago, but unfortunately that is not the case.  That is another goal I set for the new year that I have yet to progress on!

No comments:

Post a Comment